Approach to The High Blood Pressure in Adolescent
Although hypertension is recognized as an adult disease, its prevalence increases during childhood and adolescence. Its definition, etiology and management differ from that in adults in several major respects. Diagnostic studies should be individualized and should follow clinical clues where possible. Management of hypertensive children require a comprehensive approach incorporating patient and family education, nonpharmacological measures and antihypertensive medications. Identifying the potential patients with hypertension risk and taking preemptive measures would result in decreasing the probability of having hypertension as well as the related complications in the later stages. This article reviews detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2004; 114:555-76.
- Munter P. HeJ, Cutler JA, Wildman RP, Whalton PK. Trends in blood pressure among children and adolescents. JAMA 2004;291:2107-13.
- Ford ES, Mokdad AH, Ajani UA. Trends in risk factors for cardiovascular disease among children and adolescents in the United States. Pediatrics 2004;114:1534-44.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Cpmmittee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: The JNC 7report. JAMA 2003;289:2560-72.
- The Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, 2008. Recommendations of U.S. Preventive Task Force. www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstffix.htm adresinden 28.05.2010 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Akan H, İzbırak G, Tanrıöver Ö ve ark. Ergenlerde prehipertansiyon ve hipertansiyon sıklığı. Türk Aile Hek Derg 2010;14(3):115-23.
- Candan C, Çalışkan S. Çocukluk çağında hipertansiyona yaklaşım. Türk Pediatri Arşivi 2005;40:15-22.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2004;114:555-73.
- Goonasekera CDA, Dillon MJ. Measurement and interpretation of blood pressure. Arch Dis Child 2000;82:261-65.
- Morgenstern B. Blood pressure, hypertension, and ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in children and adolescents. AJH 2002;15:64-6.
- Sorof J, Daniels S. Obesity hypertension in children: A problem of epidemic proportions. Hypertension 2002;40:441-7.
- Bartosh SM, Aranson AJ. Childhood hypertension. An update on etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Pediatr Clin N Am 1999;46;235-52.
- Norwood VF. Hypertension. Pediatr Rev 2002;23:197-209.
- Cook S, Weitzman M, Auinger P, Nguyen M, Dietz WH. Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: Findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2003;157:821–7.
- Ayas NT, White DP, Manson JE, et al. A prospective study of sleep duration and coronary heart disease in women. Arch İntern Med 2003;163:205-9.
- Williams CL, Hayman LL, Daniels SR, et al. Cardiovascular health in childhood: A statement for health professionals from the Committee on Atherosclerosis, Hypertension and Obesity in the young, AHA. Circulation 2002;106:143-60.
- Krebs NF, Jacobson MS. Prevention of pediatric overweight and obesity. Pediatrics 2003;112:424-30.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness. Athletic partipation by children and adolescents who have systemic hypertension. Pediatrics 1997;99:637-8.
- Panel of Dietary Intakes for Electrolytes and Water Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes, Food and Nutrition Board, İnstitute of Medicine, Dietary reference intakes for water, potassium, sodium, choloride and sulfate. National Academic Press. 2004. www.nap.edu/books/0309091691/html/ adresinden 03.08.2015 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Sorof JM, Cargo P, Greapel J, et al. Beta –blocker/thiazide combination for treatment of hypertensive children: A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Nephrol 2002;17:345-50.
- Adelman RD, Coppo R, Dillon MJ. The emergency management of severe hypertension. Pediatr Nephrol 2000;14(5):422-7.
- Türk Kardiyoloji Derneği Ulusal Hipertansiyon Tedavi ve Takip Kılavuzu, Özel Hasta Grupları, Çocuk ve Adolesan Çağı Hipertansiyonu. http://old.tkd.org.tr/kilavuz/k03/5_11453.htm?wbnum=1109 adresinden 23.02.2015 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Flynn JT. Evaluation and management of hypertension in childhood. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 2001;12:177-88.