Yolk Sac Size Can Predict Miscarriage
Objective: To identify the role of yolk sac size and its association with gestational sac size in predicting miscarriages.
Methods: Measurements of the gestational sac diameter, yolk sac diameter and crown-rump length were recorded. All of the patients were followed until term and those with loss of cardiac activity before 20th week of pregnancy were classified in the adverse pregnancy outcome group. We compared the measured characteristics of pregnancies with miscarriage and ongoing pregnancies reaching term.
Results: We followed 88 pregnancies. Four patients miscarried before the 20th week of pregnancy. A yolk sac diameter greater than the 95th percentile had a sensitivity of 33.3%, specificity of 80%, positive predictive value of 5.6% and negative predictive value of 78.4% for miscarriage. A yolk sac diameter greater than 4.6mm was associated with miscarriage before the 20th week of pregnancy.
Conclusions: An enlarged yolk sac may be predictive of a future miscarriage. Patients with an enlarged yolk sac should be offered a new ultrasound within 2 weeks. Sharing the results of an abnormal ultrasonography with the patient may create unnecessary anxiety. We only advise to use the favorable results as a reassuring sign to decrease the number of ultrasonographies.
- Tannirandorn Y, Sangsawang S, Manotaya S, Uerpairojkit B, Sampritpradit P, Charoenvidhya D. Fetal loss in threatened abortion after embryonic/fetal heart activity. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2003; 81: 263-6.
- Deaton JL, Honoré GM, Huffman CS, Bauguess P. Early transvaginal ultrasound following an accurately dated pregnancy: the importance of finding a yolk sac or fetal heart motion. Hum Reprod 1997; 12: 2820-3.
- Siddiqi TA, Caligaris JT, Miodovnik M, Holroyde JC, Mimouni F. Rate of spontaneous abortion after first trimester sonographic demonstration of fetal cardiac activity. Am J Perinatol 1988; 5: 1-4.
- Varelas FK, Prapas NM, Liang RI, Prapas IM, Makedos GA. Yolk sac size and embryonic heart rate as prognostic factors of first trimester pregnancy outcome. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2008; 138: 10-3.
- Papaioannou GI, Syngelaki A, Maiz N, Ross JA, Nicolaides KH. Ultrasonographic prediction of early miscarriage. Hum Reprod 2011; 26: 1685-92.
- Makrydimas G, Sebire NJ, Lolis D, Vlassis N, Nicolaides KH. Fetal loss following ultrasound diagnosis of a live fetus at 6-10 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 22: 368-72.
- Reece EA, Sciosca AL, Pinter E, et al. Prognostic significance of the human yolk sac assessed by ultrasonography. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1988; 159: 1191-4.
- Jauniaux E, Jurkovic D, Henriet Y, Rodesch F, Hustin J. Development of the secondary human yolk sac: correlation of sonographic and anatomical features. Hum Reprod 1991; 6: 1160-6.
- Stampone C, Nicotra M, Muttinelli C, Cosmi EV. Transvaginal sonography of the yolk sac in normal and abnormal pregnancy. J Clin Ultrasound 1996; 24: 3-9.
- Papaioannou GI, Syngelaki A, Poon LCY, Ross JA, Nicolaides KH. Normal ranges of embryonic length, embryonic heart rate, gestational sac diameter and yolk sac diameter at 6- 10 weeks. Fetal Diagn Ther 2010; 28: 207-19.
- Cho FN, Kan YY, Chen SN, Yang TL, Hsu PH. Very large yolk sac and bicornuate uterus in a live birth. J Chin Med Assoc 2005; 68: 535-7.
- Berdahl DM, Blaine J, Van Voorhis B, Dokras A. Detection of enlarged yolk sac on early ultrasound is associated with adverse pregnancy outcomes. Fertil Steril 2010;94:1535-7
- Cho FN, Chen SN, Tai MH, Yang TL. The quality and size of yolk sac in early pregnancy loss. Aust New Zea J Obstet Gynecol 2006; 46: 413-8.
- Angiolucci M, Murru R, Melis G, Carcassi C, Mais V. Association between different morphological types and abnormal karyotypes in early pregnancy loss. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011; 37: 219-25.
- Kontomanolis EN, Pandya P, Limperis V. Trisomy 22: the heart aspect. J Obstet Gynaecol 2010; 30: 627-8.
- Kucuk T, Duru NK, Yenen MC, Dede M, Ergun A, Baser I. Yolk sac size and shape as predictors of poor pregnancy outcome. J Perinat Med 1999; 27: 316-20.