Cecum tumor delayed diagnosis due to fear of Covid-19 Pandemic
Starting on 11th March 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic caused a total of 8,964,711 confirmed cases and 78,407 deaths in Turkey. Due to the pandemic, our 72-year-old case has moved from urban to her house in rural area. She has not benefitted from the treatment she received for her stomachache and loss of appetite, which have begun approx. 6 months ago. She did not go to the follow-up visits due to the fear of COVID-19. Due to the cachectic appearance, bloating in the lower-right quadrant, and palpable hard bulk detected during the physical examination performed in our Family Healthcare Center, the patient was referred to abdominal USG. Abdominal USG was performed on a bulk with dimensions of 65x58mm was observed in the cecal zone. Given neo-adjuvant radiotherapy first, the patient then underwent surgery. The pathological diagnosis was reported to be moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma. BRAF V600E/E2/D mutation was detected in the genetic analysis of tumor. Receiving chemotherapy, the patient is in remission and still in the follow-up process. In order to draw attention to the tumor cases, which have been diagnosed late due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was aimed to introduce the present case together with the literature.
- WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard. Accessed from https://covid19.who.int/ , on 10/12/2021.
- TÜİK Ölüm Nedeni İstatistikleri, 2018. https://data.tuik.gov.tr/Bulten/Index?p=Olum-Nedeni-Istatistikleri-2018-30626 adresinden 30/01/2021 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Kolorektal kanser. http://dromersenturk.com/down/kolorektal-kanser.pdf adresinden 31/01/2021 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Sav Aydınlı M. Kolorektal Kanser Tanısı Alan Hastaların Koruyucu Hekimlik Açısından Durumu ve Tanı Sürecinin Değerlendirilmesi. Uzmanlık tezi. Ankara Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi, Aile Hekimliği Anabilim Dalı, 2011.
- Haraldsdottir S, Einarsdottir HM, Smaradottir A, Gunnlaugsson A, Halfdanarson TR. Krabbamein í ristli og endaþarmi [Colorectal cancer – review]. Laeknabladid 2014 Feb;100(2):75-82.
- Wilkinson J. What is cecum cancer? Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Accessed from https://www.verywellhealth.com/cecum-cancer-796799 on 31/01/2021.
- Nishihara R, Wu K, Lochhead P, Morikawa T, Liao X, Qian ZR, et al. Long-term colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality after lower endoscopy. N Engl J Med 2013; 369: 1095-105.
- Cohen R, Cervera P, Svrcek M, Pellat A, Dreyer C, de Gramont A, et al. BRAF-Mutated Colorectal Cancer: What Is the Optimal Strategy for Treatment? Curr Treat Options Oncol 2017 Feb;18(2):9.
- Canbay E, Buğra D. Kolorektal kanser: Genetik ve moleküler biyoloji araştırmaları hasta tedavisine yeterince yansıyor mu? Ulusal Cerrahi Dergisi 2011; 27(4): 198-205.
- Maughan TS, Adams RA, Smith CG, Meade AM, Seymour MT, Wilson RH, et al. MRC COIN Trial Investigators. Addition of cetuximab to oxaliplatin-based first-line combination chemotherapy for treatment of advanced colorectal cancer: results of the randomised phase 3 MRC COIN trial. Lancet 2011 Jun;18:377(9783):2103-14.