Case report: Plantar warts presenting as plantar calluses
Plantar warts also known as verucca plantaris are skin lesions caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) occurring frequently on the soles of the feet. Their surface usually resembles a cauliflower, and tiny black petechiae may be seen with a magnifying glass. They are often mistaken for calluses or corns in primary care settings. In this case report, we present a patient who came to the family medicine outpatient clinic with pain in the sole of his foot and difficulty in walking. We will discuss differential diagnosis, prevention and treatment modalities for veruca plantaris. The family physician plays an important role in diagnosis, prevention and treatment of common dermatological problems in primary care medicine.
Key words: Verruca, warts, callosities, primary health care
- Bacelieri R, Johnson SM. Cutaneous warts: an evidence-based approach to therapy. Am Fam Physician 2005;72(4):647-52.
- Bae JM, Kang H, Kim HO, Park YM. Differential diagnosis of plantar wart from corn, callus and healed wart with the aid of dermoscopy. Br J Dermatol 2009;160(1):220-2.
- Lichon V, Khachemoune A. Plantar Warts: A focus on treatment modalities. Dermatology Nursing. 2007;19(4):372-5.
- Sanclemente G, Gill DK. Human papillomavirus molecular biology and pathogenesis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2002;16(3):231-40.
- Highet AS, Kurtz J. Viral infections; Human papillomavirus (HPV) and warts. In ”Rook/Wilkinson/Ebling Textbook of Dermatology”. (eds) Champion RH, Burton JL, Ebling FJG. 5. baskı Volüm 2. London, Oxford Blackwell Scientific Publication. 1992;897-911.
- Cobb MW. Human Papillomavirus Infection. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990;22:547-66.
- Fitzpatrick TB, Johnson RA, Wolff K, Suurmond D. In “Fungal Infections of the skin and hair. Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology Common and Serious Diseases”. (eds) Cooke D, Englis MR, Morriss John M. 4. baskı. New York, McGraw Hill Medical Publishing Division. 2001; 684 -707.
- Cardoso JC, Calonje E. Cutaneous manifestations of human papillomaviruses: a review. Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Panonica Adriat 2011;20(3):145-54.
- Reeder VJ, Gustafson CJ, Davis SA, Fleischer AB Jr. The treatment and demographics of warts. J Drugs Dermatol 2013;12(12):1411-5.
- Watkins P. Identifying and treating plantar warts. Nurs Stand 2006; 4;20(42):50-4.
- Lever WF, Lever GS: Diseases caused by viruses. In “Histopathology of the Skin”. (ed) Elder, David E. Phiadelphia, JB Lippincott. 1990:411-7.
- Lipke MM. An armamentarium of wart treatments. MM.Clin Med Res 2006;4(4):273-93.
- Bedinghaus JM, Niedfeldt MW. Over-the-counter foot remedies. Am Fam Physician 2001;1;64(5):791-6.
- Haneke E. Differential diagnosis and therapy of calluses, corns and plantar warts. Z Hautkr 1982;15; 57(4):263-72.
- Çayırlı M, Ekinci Ş, Karakaş DÖ. Ayağın askerlik süresince sık görülen ve iş gücü kaybına yol açan dermatolojik hastalıkları. TAF Prev Med Bull 2013;12(5):609-4.
- Loo SK, Tang WY. Warts (non-genital). BMJ Clin Evid 2009; 1710.