A case of B 12 deficiency anemia with pancytopenia
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that acts as a coen-zyme in important enzymatic reactions in the body. Deficiency can lead to serious diseases, especially in the haematologic and nervous systems and the digestive tract. Affected people may experience weakness, fatigue, oral ulcers, papillar atrophy in the tongue, diarrhea and anemia. Severe anemia, amnesia, personality changes, dementia and depression may be seen in patients with a late diagnosis.Pancytopenia is defined as the decrease of erythrocyte, leukocyte and platelet series in blood. In the differential diagnosis of pancytopenia, there is a wide range from bone marrow diseases to infections. One of these causes is vitamin B12 deficiency. In our case report, we aimed to present a case of vitamin B 12 deficiency anemia with pancytopenia who came to our outpatient clinic with a complaint of a sore throat and cough.
- Hariz A, Bhattacharya P. Megaloblastic Anemia. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537254/ sayfasından 03.10.2018 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Imbert M, Scoazec JY, Mary JY, et al. Adult patients presenting with pancytopenia: A reappraisal of underlying pathology and diagnostic procedures in 213 cases. Hematol Pathol 1989;3:159-67.
- Green R, Datta Mitra A. Megaloblastic Anemias: Nutritional and Other Causes. Med Clin North Am 2017;101(2):297-317.
- Stabler SP. Clinical practice. Vitamin B12 deficiency. N Engl J Med 2013;368:149-60.
- Green R, Dwyre DM. Evaluation of macrocytic anemias. Semin Hematol 2015;52:280-5.
- Tilak V, Jain R. Pancytopenia: A clinico-hematologic analysis of 77 cases. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1999; 42:399-404.
- Nq SC, Kuperan P, Chan GL. Megaloblastic anemia – a review from University Hospital, Kuala Lumpur. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1988;17:261-6.
- Pohl J, Stremmel W. Megaloblastic anemia in a psychogenic eating disorder. Dtsch Med Wonchenschr 1999; 124:1033-6.
- Andrès E, Abrar-Ahmad Z, Vogel T. State of the Art Review: Oral and nasal vitamin B12 therapy in the elderly. QJM 2019; 22: hcz046.
- Bolaman Z, Kadikoylu G, Yukselen V, Yavasoglu I, Barutca S, Senturk T. Oral versus intramuscular cobalamin treatment in megaloblastic anemia: A singlecenter, prospective, randomized, open-label study. Clin Ther 2003;25:3124-34.