Evaluation in terms of Emergency Diseases of Nursing Home Residents
Objective: This study was aimed to evaluate diseases of nursing home residents requiring emergency intervention.
Material and methods: A total of 185 nursing home residents residing in Hatay nursing home, between November 2010 and January 2012, were included in the study. Nurse observation records and relevant medical files were investigated.
Results: Of the residents 114 (61.6%) were male, 71 (38.4%) were female with a mean age of 78.67 ± 8.38 years. The patients’ ages were compared in terms of admission to emergency clinic, there was a statistically significant difference; the patients who admitted to the hospital were older than the others (p=0.018). Eighty nine (48.1%) of them were suffering from a chronic illness. Hypertension was the most commonly diagnosed chronic disease (n=27, 14.5%). The most common illness reports were those of diseases related to internal medicine (n=37,41.5%) and acetyl salicylic acid was the most commonly used drug as in 17 patients (9.1%). Sixty seven (36.2%) patients were treated in Emergency Departments; the most common cause was impaired general condition (n=19, 28.3%), the most common diagnosis was hypertension (n=10, 15.3%). Internalized patients were frequently admitted and followed in internal medicine (n=15, 20.0%) department; twenty-seven (36.0%) of them were discharged; ten out of them (13.3%) died.
Conclusion: It was determined that the most common complaints were general poor health, fall and dyspnea and the most common diagnosis were hypertension, heart disease and orthopedic emergencies in nursing home residents.
- Kandiş H, Karakuş A, Katırcı Y, Karabolat S, Kara İH. Geriatrik Yaş Grubu ve Adli Travmalar. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2011; 14: 193-8.
- Kekeç Z, Koç F, Büyük S. Acil Serviste Yaşlı Hasta Yatışlarının Gözden Geçirilmesi. Akademik Acil Tıp Dergisi 2009; 8: 21-4.
- Satar S, Sebe A, Avci A, Karakuş A, İçme F. Yaşlı hasta ve Acil Servis. Çukurova Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2004; 29: 43-50.
- Ünsal A, Çevik AA, Metintaş S, Arslantaş D, İnan OÇ. Yaşlı hastaların acil servis başvuruları. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2003; 6: 83-8.
- Vatan S, Gençöz T. Huzurevinde Yaşayan Sakinlerin Kuruma Yönelik Düşünce ve Beklentileri: Niteliksel Bir Çalışma. Kriz Dergisi 2004; 12: 19-32.
- Singal BM, Hedges JR, Rousseau EW, Sanders AB, Berstein E, McNamara RM, et al. Geriatric emergency patient visits part I: Comparison of geriatric and younger patients. Ann Emerg Med 1992; 21: 802-807.
- Kılıçoğlu A,Yenilmez Ç. Huzurevindeki Yaşlı Bireylerde Yaşam Kalitesi ve Bireye Özgü Etkenler ile İlişkisi. Düşünen Adam 2005; 18: 187-95.
- Mert E. Geriatrik Hastaların Acil Servis Kullanımı. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2006; 9: 70-74.
- Uncu Y, Özçakır A. Yaşlı Hastaya Birinci Basamakta Yaklaşım. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2003; 6: 31-37.
- Marengoni A, Rizzuto D, Wang HX, Winblad B, Fratiglioni L.Patterns of chronic multimorbidity in the elderly population. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009; 57: 225- 230.
- Kutsal Y. Yaşlılarda çoklu ilaç kullanımı. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics Supplement 2006 ; Özel Sayı: 37- 44.
- Arslan Ş, Atalay A, Kutsal YG. Yaşlılarda ilaç tüketimi. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2000; 3: 56-60.
- Karataş M, Yavuz N, Akman N, Kilinç Ş, Sözay Ş, Leblebicioğlu B. Yaşlanma ve eşlik eden hastalıkların hemipleji rehabilitasyonu sonuçlarına etkisi: 104 Hastada yapılan retrospektif bir çalışma. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 1998; 1: 24-28.
- McLigeyo SO. The pattern of geriatric admissions in the medical wards at the Kenyatta National Hospital. East Afr Med J 1993; 70: 37-39.
- Hamdy RC, Forrest LJ, Moore SW, Cancellaro L. Use of emergency departments by the elderly in rural areas. South Med J 1997; 90: 616-620.
- Lim KH, Yap KB: The presentation of elderly people at an emergency department in Singapore. Singapore Med J 1999; 40: 742-744.
- Hu SC, Yen D, Yu YC, Kao WF, Wang LM. Elderly use of the ED in an Asian metropolis Am J Emerg Med 1999; 17: 95-99.
- Erbaşı S, Tüfekçioğlu O, Sabah İ. Yaşlılık ve Hipertansiyon. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 1999; 2: 67-70.
- Strange GR, Chen EH. Use of Emergency Departments by elder patients: a five year follow up study. Acad Emerg Med 1998; 5: 1157-1162.