Evaluation of the number and reasons of applying to the family medicine outpatient clinic of the geriatric age group: Retrospective 5 years
Introduction: It is aimed to question the status of accessibility of the Geriatric age group to primary health care institutions and the ability to benefit from the services effectively.
Methods: The study was carried out by using the data of patients aged 65 and over who applied to the Family Medicine outpatient clinic between 2015-2019. In the study for geriatric age group; The number, reasons and examination requests of the outpatient clinic were examined and the data were analyzed with IBM SPSS V16.0.
Results: Among the 51,957 people who applied to the outpatient clinic between 2015 and 2019, 65 years of age and over were included in the study, and the number was 16,208 (31.2%). The total number of examinations requested for these years was 37.080, of which 10.277 (27.7%) were requested for 65 years and older. When we look at the reasons for applying to the family medicine outpatient clinic for the geriatric age group, there were 35.2% applications for total prescriptions, 25.2% for examination, 32.3% for examination and 7.3% for the report.
Conclusions: Considering the importance and priority of the geriatric population, efforts should be made to facilitate access to all healthcare services, especially primary care, and to use them effectively.
- Halil M, Cankurtaran M. Geriatrik hastaya yaklaşım. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci 2008;28(6 Suppl 1):262-6.
- Şahin S, Cankurtaran M. Geriatrik sendromlar. Ege Journal of Medicine 2010; 49 (3 Ek/Supplement): 31-7.
- Savaş S, Akçiçek F. Comprehensive geriatric assessment. Ege Journal of Medicine 2010; 49 (3 Supp.): 19-30.
- Mert E. Use of emergency departments by elderly patients. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics 2006; 9(2): 70-4.
- Şensoy N, Başak O, Gemalmaz A. Umurlu Aile Hekimliği Merkezi’nde aile hekimliği uygulaması ve hasta profili: Aile hekimliği alan eğitimi gereksinimini ne ölçüde karşılıyor? Kocatepe Tıp Dergisi 2009; 10(1): 56-49.
- Akkoca AN, Soylu Özler G, Yengil E, Özler S, Demirkıran G. Geriatrik hastaların ilaç kullanım bilgi ve davranışlarının değerlendirilmesi. Smyrna Tıp Dergisi 2015; 3: 1-6.
- Üstü Y, Uğurlu M, Eğici MT, Yıldırım O, Örnek M. Aile hekimliği uygulamasında güncel problemler ve çözüm yolları – I. Sağlığın Başkenti 2011;21:50-4.
- Uğurlu M, Eğici MT, Yıldırım O, Örnek M, Üstü Y. Aile hekimliği uygulamasında güncel problemler ve çözüm yolları – 2. Ankara Med J 2012;12(1):4-10.
- Baran Çeçem K, Üstü Y, Uğurlu M. Fransa’da aile hekimliği uygulaması ve eğitimi: Türkiye modelinin incelenmesi. Ankara Medical Journal 2015; 15(3):153-60.
- Starfield B, Shi L, Macinko J. Contribution of Primary Care to Health Systems and Health. Milbank Q 2005; 83(3): 457–502.
- Maç Ç, Öztürk G, Aksu S, Demirbaş B, Toprak D. Geriatrik bireylerin periyodik sağlık muayenesi hakkında bilgi, tutum ve davranışları. Ankara Medical Journal 2019; 19(1): 9-1.