Supplementation disrupts the circannual rhythm of vitamin D: A retrospective analysis
Objectives: MPV and PDW are vascular complications markers and improved glycemic control levels are correlated those indicators in patients with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The aim of in this study, MPV and PDW levels were compared type 2 diabetic patients treated with oral antihyperglycemic agent and insulin.
Methods: This study was performed retrospectively on type 2 DM patients who were admitted to Ankara Atatürk Training and Research Hospital. 118 randomly selected patients were divided into 3 groups that were non-diabetic (Group 1), who received OAD therapy (Group 2), and those who received insulin therapy (Group 3). HbA1c, MPV, PDW levels were collected, analyzed and compared with each other.
Results: MPV and PDW values were increased in type 2 DM patients compared to the control group (Group 2; p <0.001 and Group 3 p <0.001, respectively). There was no statistically significant difference between MPV and PDW values in patients treated OAD and insulin therapy (p=0.736 ve p=0.360 respectively). A statistically significant positive correlation was found between HbA1c values and MPV (p <0.001) and PDW (p <0.001) values.
Conclusions: In our study, no significant difference was found bet-ween MPV and PDW values of patients using insulin and oad. Early initiation of conventional insulin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes provides good glycemic control. Rational drug use in accordance with the guidelines; gains importance in treatment success. Skipping this factor may reduce the efficiency of other efforts in relation to rational treatment.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D: a d-lightful solution for health. J Investig Med 2011;59:872-80.
- Pittaway JK, Ahuja KD, Beckett JM, Bird ML, Robertson IK, Ball MJ. Make vitamin D while the sun shines, take supplements when it doesn’t: a longitudinal, observational study of older adults in Tasmania, Australia. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e59063.
- Park JE, Pichiah PTB, Cha YS. Vitamin D and Metabolic Diseases: Growing Roles of Vitamin D. J Obes Metab Syndr 2018;27:223-32.
- Wu X, Hu W, Lu L, Zhao Y, Zhou Y, Xiao Z, et. al. Repurposing vitamin D for treatment of human malignancies via targeting tumor microenvironment. Acta Pharm Sin B 2019;9:203-19.
- Heravi AS, Michos ED. Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements: Helpful, Harmful, or Neutral for Cardiovascular Risk? Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 2019:15:207-13.
- Manson JE, Cook NR, Lee IM, Christen W, Bassuk SS, Mora S, et al. Vitamin D Supplements and Prevention of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease. N Engl J Med 2019:380:33-44.
- Prietl B, Treiber G, Pieber TR, Amrein K. Vitamin D and immune function.Nutrients 2013:5:2502-21.
- Cefalo CMA, Conte C, Sorice GP, Moffa S, Sun VA, Cinti F, et al. Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Obesity-Induced Insulin Resistance: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2018:26:651-7.
- Aydin O. Vitamin D test results in a public hospital in mid-January Turk J Biochem 2019;44(2):229
- Vurgun E, Evliyaoğlu O, Vardar M. Assessment of vitamin D deficiency level by the physiological response of parathyroid hormone in Turkish adults. Turk J Biochem 2018;43:502–9.
- Cong E, Walker MD, Kepley A, Zhang C, McMahon DJ, Silverberg SJ. Seasonal variability in vitamin D levels no longer detectable in primary hyperparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100:3452-9.
- Silverberg SJ, Brown I, Bilezikian JP. Seasonal variation in 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in primary hyperparathyroidism. J Bone Miner Res 1999;14.