The Personal Hygiene Practices of Male High School Students Staying In A Dormitory in Kahramanmaraş
Aim: In the present study, it is aimed to assess the personal hygiene practices of male high school students staying in a dormitory in Kahramanmaraş
Methods: The study was performed on 123 male students staying in a dormitory of a high school in Kahramanmaraş. All the students were informed about the study before a seminar about personal hygiene was offered and those giving informed consent were included in the study.
Results: The mean age of the participants was 16.70±1.30 years (min=14, max=20). Thirty-eight participants (30,8%) were first year students, 21 (17,1%) were second year students, 37 (30,1%) were third year students and 27 (22,0%) were fourth year students. A hundred and eight participants (95,9%) reported to wash their face in the morning, but 5 (4,1%) reported not to wash their face. The frequency of hand washing was 1-3 times a day in 17 students (13,8%), 4-6 times a day in 47 students (38,2%), 7-9 times in 25 students (20,3%) and 10 or more than 10 times in 34 students (27,6%). One hundred and fourteen (92,7%) of the students remarked that they washed their hands after the toilet while 105 (85.4%) of them told that they washed their hands before meal. It turned out that 96 students (78,0%) brushed their teeth, but that 27 students (22,0%) did not brush their teeth.
Conclusion: In the present study it was determined that the personal hygiene practices of male high school students staying in dormitory were not adequate, which play an important role in prevention of both infectious diseases and other health conditions. The students staying in dormitories should be offered education programs directed towards improvement of personal hygiene practices
- Yılmaz E, Özkan S. Bir ilçede farklı yerleşim yerindeki ilköğretim okulu öğrencilerinin kişisel hijyen alışkanlıklarının karşılaştırılması. Fırat Sağlık Hizmetleri Dergisi 2009;4(10):1-18.
- Adolesan Sağlığı ve Gelişimi Programı Rehber Kitabı. Ankara. T.C Sağlık Bakanlığı, Ana Çocuk Sağlığı ve Aile Planlaması Genel Müdürlüğü, UNİCEF, 2002.
- Arat A, Şimşek I, Koç Erdamar G. Yatılı ilköğretim bölge okulu II. kademe öğrencilerinin kişisel hijyen uygulamaları. Gazi Üniversitesi Endüstriyel Sanatlar Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi 2014;33:58-72.
- Şimşek Ç, Piyal B, Tüzün H, Çakmak D, Turan H, Seyrek V. Ankara İl Merkezindeki Bazı Lise Öğrencilerinde Kişisel Hijyen Davranışları. TAF Prev Med Bull 2010;9(5):433-40.
- Aiello AE, Coulborn R, Perez V, Larson EL. Effect of hand hygiene on infectious disease risk in the community setting: A meta-analysis. American Journal of Public Health 2008;98(8):1372-82.
- Oyibo PG. Basic personal hygiene: knowledge and practices among school children aged 6-14 years in Abraka, Delta State, Nigeria. Continental Journal of Tropical Medicine 2012;6(1):5-11.
- Çetinkaya S, Arslan S, Nur N, Demir ÖF, Özdemir L, Sümer H. Sivas il merkezinde sosyoekonomik düzeyi farklı üç ilköğretim okulu öğrencilerinde kişisel hijyen alışkanlıkları. STED 2005;14(10):229-36.
- Çan G, Topbaş M. Trabzon’da iki farklı yerleşim yerindeki ilköğretim öğrencilerinin kişisel hijyen alışkanlıkları. TSK Kor Hek 2004; 3(8):70-177.
- Güleç M, Topbaş M. İlköğretim okullarında öğrencilerin el yıkama alışkanlıkları. Türk Hij Den Biy Dergisi 2000;5(2):71-6.
- Snow M, White GL, Kim HS. Inexpensive and time-efficient hand hygiene interventions increase elementary school children’s hand hygiene rates. Journal of School Health 2008; 28(4):30-3.
- Guinan M, McGuckin M, Ali Y. The effect of a comprehensive handwashing program on absenteeism in elementary schools. Am J Infect Control 2002;30:217-20.
- Hammond B, Ali Y, Fendler E, Dolan M, Donovan S. Effect of hand sanitiser use on elementary school absenteeism. American Journal of Infection Control 2000;28(5):340-6.
- Önsüz M, Hıdıroglu S. İstanbul’da farklı iki ilköğretim okulundaki öğrencilerin kişisel hijyen alışkanlıklarının belirlenmesi. ADÜ Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2008;9(1):9-17.
- Morton JL, Schultz AA. Healthy hands: Use of alcohol gel as an adjunct to handwashing in elementary school children. The Journal of School Nursing 2004;20(3):161-7.
- Kaya A. İlköğretim okulu öğrencilerinin kişisel hijyen alışkanlıklarının değerlendirilmesi, Bitirme Tezi. M.Ü. Sağlık Eğitim Fakültesi, 2001.
- Hodge HC, Holloway PJ. Factors associated with tooth brushing behaviour in adolescents. Br Dent J 1982;152:49-51.
- Sogaard AJ, Tuominen R, Holst D, Gjermo P. The effect of 2 teaching programmes on the gingival health of 15-year-old school children. J Clin Periodontol 1987;14: 165-70.