Usage of Family APGAR Scale in Family Medicine: Study of Turkish
Aim: The purpose of this study is to make Turkish adaptation of Family APGAR Scale (Smilkstein, 1978) developed in order for family physicians to evaluate the family functions in a short time.
Material and Methods: Turkish version of the scale was administrated to those who accepted to participate in the study among the patients and their relatives consulting to two family physicians (n=183). The validity and reliability of the scale were analyzed by appropriate statistical methods.
Results: The mean age was 32.09±10.03 (18-60) and 55.7 % of 183 participants were female. Item-to-total point correlation of the Family APGAR Scale was identified to change between 0.502 and 0.679. Test-retest correlation was found to be 0.759 (p=0.000). Cronbach’s alpha coefficient showing the internal consistency of the scale items was calculated to be 0.793. Language validity correlation was detected to be 0.899 (p=0. 000). Structure validity χ2 2/df rate was lower than 5, GFI and AGFI values were higher than 0.90, RMR and RMSEA values were lower 0.05, GFI was 1.0, AGFI was 0.99, RMR and RMSEA values were 0.0. In addition, similar scales validity was found to be r= -0.596 (p=0.000).
Conclusion: The fact that the items of scale have the desired characteristics, the scale has a high validity and reliability, and it owns similar scales validity indicated that family physicians can use the Family APGAR Scale in Turkey so as to identify people’s perceptions regarding their families’ functioning.
- Ünalan T. Türkiyede çekirdek aileler. Nüfusbilim Dergisi. 1988; 10:51.
- Campbell T, Larivaara P. Working with families. In “Textbook of Primary Medical Care”. (eds) Jones R, Britten N, Culpepper L, Gass D, Grol R, Mant D, Silagy C., Volume 1, New York, Oxford University Press. 2004;299-303.
- Bray HJ, Campbell TL. The family’s influence on health. In “Textbook of Family Medicine”. (ed) Rakel RE. 7th ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders. 2007; 25-34.
- McDaniel SH, Campbell TL, Hepworth J, Lorenz A. Birinci basamakta aileleri değerlendirmek için araçlar. “Aile Yönelimli Birincil Bakım” (ed) Yaman H 2. Baskı, İstanbul,Yüce Yayım. 2007; 28-41.
- McWhinney IR, Freeman T. The family in health and disease. In “Textbook of Family Medicine” 3th ed. New York, Oxford University Press. 2009; 217-248.
- Yaman H, Akdeniz M. Aile yönelimli bakım. “Birinci Basamakta Tanı ve Tedavi” içinde. (eds) Bozdemir N, Kara İH. Adana, Nobel Kitabevi. 2010; 25-32.
- Campbell TL. Family stress. In “Textbook of Family Medicine” (ed) Rakel RE 5th ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders. 1995; 35-38.
- Sawa RJ. Incorporating the family into medical care. Can Fam Physician. 1988; 34:87-93.
- Smilkstein G. The family APGAR: a proposal for family function test and its use by physicians. Journal of Fam Prac. 1978; 6(6):1231-1239.
- Chao J, Zyzanski S, Flocke S. Choosing a family level ındicator of family function. Families, Systems and Health. 1998; 16: 367-373.
- Smilkstein G, Ashworth C, Montano D. Validity and reliability of the family APGAR as a test of family function. J Fam Pract. 1982; 15, 3003-3011.
- Smucker WD, Wildman BG, Lynch TR, Revolinsky MC. Relationship between the family APGAR and behavioral problems in children. Arch Fam Med. 1995 Jun; 4(6):535-9.
- Bellón Saameño JA, Delgado Sánchez A, Luna del Castillo JD, Lardelli Claret P. Validity and reliability of the family apgar family function test. Aten Primaria. 1996;18(6):289-96.
- Rodríguez Fernández E, Gea Serrano A, Gómez Moraga A, García González JM. Apgar questionnaire in the study of family function. Aten Primaria. 1996;17(5):338-41.
- Powazki RD, Walsh D. Family distress in palliative medicine: a pilot study of the family APGAR scale. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2002;19: 392-6.
- Gardner W, Nutting PA, Kelleher KJ, Werner JJ, Farley T, Stewart L et al. Does the family APGAR effectively measure family functioning? J Fam Pract. 2000;50:19-25.
- Bellón JA, Delgado-Sánchez A, Dios Luna J, Lardelli-Claret P. Patient psychosocial factors and primary care consultation: a cohort study. Fam Pract. 2007;24(6):562-9.
- Im SH, Lee SC, Moon JH, Park ES, Park YG. Quality of life for primary caregivers of muscular dystrophy patients in South Korea. Chin Med J (Engl). 2010; 20;123(4):452- 457.
- Chen CA, Liao SC, Wang JK, Chang CI, Chiu IS, Chen YS et al. Quality of Life in adults with congenital heart disease: biopsychosocial determinants and sex-related differences. Heart. 2011;97(1):38-43.
- Yang P, Yen CF, Tang TC, Chen CS, Yang RC, Huang MS et al. posttraumatic stress disorder in adolescents after typhoon morakot-associated mudslides. J Anxiety Disord. 2011;25(3):362-368.
- López-Navas A, Ríos A, Riquelme A, Martínez-Alarcón L, Pons JA, Miras M et al. Psychological care: social and family support for patients awaiting a liver transplant. Transplant Proc. 2011;43(3):701-704.
- Rodríguez-Sánchez E, Pérez-Peñaranda A, Losada-Baltar A, Pérez-Arechaederra D, Gómez-Marcos MA, Patino-Alonso MC et al. Relationships between quality of life and family function in caregiver. BMC Fam Pract. 2011;15:12-9.
- Çokluk Ö, Şekercioğlu G, Büyüköztürk Ş. Sosyal bilimler için çok değişkenli istatistik SPSS ve LISREL uygulamaları. Ankara, Pegem Akademi Yayınevi. 2010.
- Jöreskog KG, Sörbom D. LISREL 8: structural equation modeling with the simplis command language. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 1993.
- Marsh HW, Hocevar DA. New more powerful approach to multitrait-multimethod analyses: application of second-order confirmatory factor analysis. J Appl Physiol. 1988;73:107-117.
- Anderson JC, Gerbing DW. The effect of sampling error on convergence, improper solutions, and goodness of fit indices for maximum likelihood comfirmatory factor analysis. Psychometrika. 1984;49:155-173.
- Cole DA. Utility of confirmatory factor analysis in test validation research. J Consult Clin Psych. 1987;55:1019-1031.
- Marsh HW, Balla JR, McDonald RP. Goodness-of-fit indices in confirmatory factor analysis: the effect of sample size. Psychological Bulletin 1988;102: 391-410.
- Hu L, Bentler PM. Cut-off criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling. 1999;6:1-55.
- Bulut I. Aile değerlendirme ölçeği el kitabı. Ankara, Özgüzeliş Matbaası. 1990;33-34.