Place the Elderly Health Education in Family Medicine Residency Training
The elderly population is increasing more and more in the world and in Turkey. It is known that elderly appliesto health care centers more than other age groups. It is essential to know requirements and characteristics of this age group to ensure efficient health care service. For this reason, it is recommended to develop and reinforce elderly health education and practices in family medicine speciality education. Not only education process for hospital should be established as the basis of continuous care but also education process for elderly health care at home and nursing homes should be established in specialty education programs. Educated family physicians may be involved in geriatric team established in these areas developing in our country, proper coordination may be ensured among mainly team members and geriatrists and other field specialists. The cooperation of family medicine and geriatric disciplines developing fast in our country is of great importance.
- Smith T. European health challenges. BMJ. 1991;303:1395-1397.
- Miller KE, Zylstra RG, Standridge JB. The Geriatric patient: systematic approach to maintaining health. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:1089-1104.
- Akgün S, Bakar C, Budakoğlu Iİ. Dünyada ve Türkiye’de yaşlı nüfus eğilimi, sorunları ve iyileştirme önerileri. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics. 2004;7(2):105-110.
- T.C. Başbakanlık İstatistik Kurumu: TÜİK Adrese Dayalı Nüfus Kayıt Sistemi sonuçları 2010. Yaş Grubuna Göre Nüfus, 2009-2010. (www.tuik.gov.tr) adresinden 30/03/2011 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Rakel RE. The family physician. In ‘Textbook of Famil Practice’ (ed). Rakel RE. 5th ed. Philaldelphia, WB Sounders. 1995;3-19.
- Tekin N, Şahin HA. Birinci basamak hekimlerinin geriatrik hasta izlemindeki yeri: Geriatrik bakım merkezi örnekleri. Sendrom Dergisi. 2006;18 (11):61-64.
- Dişçigil G, Tekin N. “Aile Hekimleri İçin Geriatri El Kitabı”. Aydın, Adnan Menderes Üniversitesi Yayınları. 2007:1-6.
- Mold JW, Fryer GE, Roberts AM. When do older patients change primary care physicians?. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2004;17:453-460.
- Kılınç S, Sütlü S, Atay E. Burdur ilinde yaşayan 65 yaş ve üzeri nüfusun bazı sosyo-demografik özellikleri. GeroFam. 2010;1(4):36-45.
- Warshaw G. Providing quality primary care to older adults. J Am Board Fam Med. 2009 May-Jun;22(3):239-41.
- Aydın ZD. Yaşlanan dünya ve geriatri eğitimi. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics. 1999;2 (4):179-187.
- Gazewood JD, Vanderhoff B, Ackermann R, Cefalu C. Geriatrics in family practice recidency education an unmet challenge. Fam Med. 2003;35(1):30-34.
- The British Geriatrics Society and the Royal College of General Practitioners. Training general practitioners in geriatric medicine. Journal Of The Royal College Of General Practitioners. 1978;28:355-359.
- Weiss BD. Geriatrics: in our residents’ future whether they know it and like it or not. Fam Med. 2009 Oct;41(9):615.
- Uzuner A, Topsever P, Unluoglu I, Caylan A, Dagdeviren N, Uncu Y et al. Residents’ views about family medicine specialty education in Turkey. BMC Med Educ. 2010;10:29.
- Koh G. A Review of geriatric education in Singapore. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007;36:687-90.
- United Nations: Report of the Second World Assembly on Ageing Madrid. New York, USA, 2002.
- Reuben DB, Lee M, Davis JW, Eslami MS, Osterweil DG, Melchiore S et al. Development and validation of a geriatrics knowledge test for primary care residents. J Gen Intern Med. 1997;12:450-452.
- Steinweg KK. Embracing the ecology of geriatrics to improve family medicine education. Fam Med. 2008;40(10):715-20.
- Brooks TR. Attitudes of medical students and family practýce resýdents toward geriatric patients. J NatiMed Assoc. 1993;85:61-64.
- Williams GO, Clements WM. Family physicians and geriatrics: practice experience, age and attitudes. Can Fam Physician. 1980;26:247-251.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA, Arenson C, Ho ML, Brewer DE. A National survey of family medicine residency education in geriatric medicine: comparing findings in 2004 to 2001. Fam Med 2006;38(4):258-64.
- Pereles L, ML Russel. Needs for CML in geriatrics part 2: physician priorities and perceptions of community representatives. Can Fam Physician. 1996;42:632-640.